Monday, March 29, 2010

Are the Christians today headed back to a mid-evil state of rapture delusion?


I didn’t think much about it when my friend told me about 3 months ago, that a school-mate of his daughters asked if she could live with them for awhile because her family had started acting crazy and saying that the rapture was at hand, and she was becoming more and more afraid of them. She had told him that her mom and dad, and most of her extended family, all believed that President Obama is the antichrist. So they must all start repenting, praying and fasting so they will all be ready when jesus arrives. By the end of our conversation, I realized that he was asking for my advice in this matter; and I told him if it was me, I wouldn’t get involved with those loony bat-shit crazy Christians. I told him that for the past 2000 years; in every few decades or so, some mentally ill Christian moron or another has proclaimed, “The hour of the lord, was at hand.” I told him most of these types of silly Christians are so childlike in their mentality, that they’ll soon lose interest in this silly idea, and just return to hating gays or something else.


I started thinking about this girl’s parents rapture delusion, again about two weeks ago after reading the results of a poll, in which more than 24% of the far-right Christians said, that they also believe that Obama is the antichrist. So are they also now preparing for the “rapture” too, I wondered? However, I simply dismissed the poll numbers as those of the likes of the Tea-Baggers, as just being racists stupid and ignorant. Then this past Friday, as I pulled into the parking lot of a convenient-store, and there were 4 well dressed proselytizers accosting customers and saying, “Obama was the antichrist and Satan himself, and Christ would be returning before the end of Obama’s first term as President” I started thinking just maybe I have been taking this latest of Christian senselessness, a little too lightly. Then today, I was reading about the FBI arresting members of a Christian cult:


DETROIT – Nine suspects tied to a Christian militia that was preparing for the Antichrist were charged with conspiring to kill police officers, then attack a funeral using homemade bombs in the hopes of killing more law enforcement personnel, federal prosecutors said Monday.

Now I’m starting to wonder if we all need to take the words and actions of these deluded and ignorant Christians a little more seriously. I’ve read many stories that when in the past Christians have started down this path to this type of delusional psychosis; they started killing their children and themselves. Whole families committed suicide, so they could all be together with jesus.


My personal opinion is that anyone who would totally wrap their life around a story written in a book, which tells of such things as talking-snakes and virgin-born saviors – isn’t wrapped very tight in the first place. I wonder if this is the start of a new trend; the latest in a 2000 year old psychotic delusion. And is history on the verge of repeating again, the times when deluded Christian started seeing the Jews and people of other religions (including atheists) as a hindrance between them, the rapture and jesus – so they just started killing the “god-less heathens.” Are we now in danger again as well? And where in the hell is this deluded bullshit coming from this time?