Monday, July 5, 2010

Dedicated to my Teacher - Why I am an atheist – I am simply blessed:


I have written a few articles in the past about why I am an atheist; and how as someone who was born profoundly dyslectic, and how through learning and simply trying to be just like everyone else that I knew (the ones who didn’t have a severe learning disability - those who could read and write) I came to discover just how different that I was from most of the people that I knew. I found that simply interacting with “normal” people was a real challenge for me – by the age of seven I realized that what other people would see to the left side of them, that I would see it on my right side. And by the age of nine, I had almost completely giving up on myself ever being able to read or write. Then at age eleven, I met an old friend of one of my friend’s dad, who was a retired science teacher and physics professor. My friend’s dad had explained to him, that I was having a difficult time with school; and how I was struggling with reading and writing, but that I was not having any problems with math and science. So he offered to help me, and over the next few weeks, I spent a few hours almost each day with him. Within the first week, he had discovered something about me that all of my teachers had not – he discovered that I was severely dyslectic.

I could tell that this old Jewish guy really loved to teach; he had been retired from teaching when I had met him for almost ten years, and he told me that he had moved here to the North West about six years ago, after his wife had died; and that he was now considering moving south because it was just too damn cold up here in the North West for him. This guy had become so excited about teaching me, that my friend’s dad thought that he was acting like a child again; but in reality, teaching me was an opportunity for a challenge, which he had not had in many years – and a challenge that he had become hell-bent on succeeding at. So I became his fulltime student, and he became my full time teacher – and within my first year with him, I had learned more than I had learned, in all of the years that I had spent in the public schools. Back when I first met this guy, I was only interested in learning math and science; however, within the first 4 years, he had me reading and writing poetry, and studying mythology and religion – and he had me learning about all religions, and this despite of the fact that he was an atheist.


One day as he was reviewing some of my math equations in theoretical physics, and pointing out the mistakes that I had made; he started laughing and told me that I made most of the same fuck-ups that most of the dyslectic scientists who he had worked with over the years, had always made, including one that I had known of his theories myself. He then left the room and then returned with a photo of himself and Albert Einstein, who he had met when he was a science student at Princeton University back in the 1930s. He then told me that he had worked with Einstein and many other famous scientists on various projects back in the late 1930s and 40s, and that Einstein was even more dyslectic than me. It was at that moment that I realized just how lucky I was to have met this guy, and just how lucky I was that he had decided to teach me – and I never again complained about anything that he wanted me to read, study and learn – including poetry, which I still fucking hate reading poetry, even today (he told me that even if I became the best scientist in the world, but still couldn’t express and articulate myself to others, that no one would ever take me seriously, and of the time that he was spending with me in this cold fucking place here in the NW, would be all for not).


Being dyslectic, even learning the simplest of things like the proper use of language when speaking was a real challenge for me; I was only able to achieve the proper use of language, and learn how to read and write after being taught an advanced form of applied logic and reasoning – and I apply this same critical thought process, today in every facet of my life.


In the real world, there is no real magic; most of the things are either or – day is day, and night is night; twilight simply precedes one or the other. Water cannot be both freezing and boiling at the same time – and fire is always hot and never cold. These are simply just the only laws in which the universe plays by – and the only laws in which the observable universe has ever played. We use both the known rates of resonate frequency, and the atomic decay of matter, in calibrating and controlling electronic devices and clocks – both of these two properties have been a consistent factor, every since the universe came into being (these are both testable and mathematical provable theories). And when an airplane pilot programs the autopilot in his aircraft, for let’s say for Seattle (barring some kind of a malfunction with the equipment, or the GPS) he can rest assured that he’ll arrive at his destination, and not somewhere in fucking China.


We all know that every person alive on the earth today, are the result of something that happened inside of a vagina or a test-tube, and after something that had shot-out of the end of a penis, had invaded its space – yet, there are those who believe that a magical baby was born 2000 years ago, and through magic (the laws of the universe simply don’t play like that). As a reasonable and intelligent person, and as someone who is highly educated and well learned in science – I simply can’t suspend reality like that– there is simply no other evidence for a virgin-born savior, besides that deluded tripe and asinine bullshit that is written in the bible – I can no more believe in that bullshit, than I could believe that there are horse sized, pink-unicorns living on the dark-side of the fucking moon – and this is why I am an atheist.


And personally, I couldn’t give a rat’s-ass what other people believe, just as long as they keep their psychotic deluded bullshit to themselves.


I always feel a little sad this time of the year; because it was in a park that I had went to watch fireworks, that I ran into a friend who told me that my old teacher had died, and that the only thing that he had wanted to know, in the days before he had died, was how I had turned out, and how I was doing.


Well today, I do believe that he would be pleased to know that even though I might not have lived up to all of his expectations myself. The things that he taught me, I then passed on to my own children. Today two of our children are scientists and the other one has a degree in business. And today I realize that none of this would have even happened if it had not been for my teacher. A while back a longtime ignorant Christian friend of mine asked me if I felt “blessed” by Gawd because my children were all doing so well; I didn’t realize it at the time that this ignorant bitch had asked me this question, but today, I realized that I am in fact blessed – not blessed by Gawd – but blessed by the fact that an atheist teacher spent so many years teaching me here in the North West; when could have enjoyed more of the final years of his life somewhere in a warmer climate, and I am so grateful to him, not gawd – and blessed for the fact that his life will live on in the memories of me and my children.






Peace!